After many years of pressing my nose to the window, about four years ago I decided to learn how to play the Guitar. What held me back all these years was being left handed. Until I actually started looking, I had never seen a left handed guitar in person. Turned out, they're not that hard to find. There just isn't the choice that a righty has, is all. I can't go into a music store and try out four or five different Stratocasters, for example. The internet and eBay have greatly expanded the choice available to left handed guitar players.
Here's a list of the guitars that I've managed to acquire from various sources. Some are new, some are used.
- 2002 Les Paul '58 Historic Reissue AuthenticMy go-to guitar. The Authentic is the lightly aged model. I'm not sure if it was made after 2002. Also, of course, Gibson used pretty flamey maple for the 2002 '58s. After that, the '58s were mostly plaintops. This is one of only two lefty '58s made in 2002. I had it set up a couple years ago by the great Dan Erlewine. The stock pickups have been replaced with Timbuckers (Ed A wind) and it has an RS wiring kit installed.
- 2003 Les Paul '56 Historic ReissueBrazillian!! Woo-hoo!! I got this one for a change of pace. The P-90s are a different sound than humbuckers.
- 1988 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Just a nice old strat with a real easy playing maple neck.
- 2002 Fender American Deluxe StratocasterI liked the trans red finish. What else can I say. Also, I love maple neck Strats. Never really liked rosewood on a Strat.
- Fender Stratocaster
This one's a Mexican Strat I bought by mistake. I gotta stop bidding on eBay auctions as
a way to keep track of them. Sometimes I wind up being the only bidder. Still, it's a
pretty guitar. I may sell it.
- Gibson Johnny A SignatureThe first, and for a long time the only, left handed Johnny A made. Music Machine placed my order for this guitar with the Gibson Custom Shop in July 2003. I finally took delivery in March 2004. Totally worth the wait. apart from a pro setup by Keith Holland Guitars in Los Gatos, CA, it's completely stock.
- Martin D-28
It's a Martin. Lots of booming bass. I bought it used, but it's in
great condition. It's a delight to play.
- Baby Taylor
Great little guitar. I take it with me on trips.